July 12, 2011

Editor Tip: Stop Making Excuses—Write Now

I am in awe of how many people believe that in order to write a memoir you must be a celebrity, elderly, or on your deathbed. While having a huge following (as celebrities do) will help you get published, it's not necessary. As for being elderly or on your deathbed, where would we be without such great memoirists as David Sedaris (Me Talk Pretty One Day), Annie Dillard (An American Childhood), Steve Martin (Born Standing Up), and Jeannette Walls (The Glass Castle)?

Just Write
Don't create excuses for yourself. Memoir binds people together; it is the day to day, the conversations at bus stops, a missed exit on a train ride, a stranger at the supermarket, an eccentric family or friend that create great works. Don't think you need to climb Mount Everest or win an Oscar to write about your life; there is value in your story, so write itand then sharewith your parent(s), child(ren), friends, family, Memoirs Ink, and the world.

Looking forward to reading your stories.

Cheers,
Christina

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I firmly believe that for every person who wants to write their story, there is another person who wants to read it. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Thank you for your comment. Hope to see more of your feedback and writing in the future. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina,
    I found your blog by when I did a search for "writing contest". I love your post. I began writing two years ago. Just sitting in a coffee shop I started typing away about my journey with my son who has autism. I love to write. I love to read about other people and their journey. So I agree write on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's wonderful and I am happy to hear that you are writing about your journey; I hope that you are also sharing your stories with others, as I am certain there are tons of people waiting to read your story. Monica Holloway wrote a book titled, "Cowboy And Wills"--have you read this? She too has a son with autism and she shares her story with the rest of us in this great memoir.

    Also, Memoirs Ink hosts two contest a year: A Semi-Annual contest in February and an Annual contest in August. Be sure to start sharing your stories with us!

    Wishing you all the best,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete